Unrecovery: Limits of Person-Centred Practice

I write as a consumer of NGO supported housing and employment services.

In the lucky seven years I've been in housing instability I got the sense that I was being left out of communications in supported share houses I've lived in. That's because I wouldn't receive updates from the host organisation and they'd primarily deal with my flatmate.

I'm the classic vexatious consumer and as a noted writer I imagine I'm in too-hard basket for organisations that have religious ethos or progressive organisations that have two modes of person centred service: touchyfeely blancmange or corporate minimum wage slave with the Disability Employment service taking their cut.

I could be rich pickens out there for an employment service offering supported employment and paying the minimum, if that.

Imagine if an employment group sourced me a supported TESOL position paying a $100 an hour and they pay me supported minimum. That's their win! I am attractive.

If only supported employment organastions and NGOs generally had person-centred practice for a theoretical posthuman. That's an academic joke - just letting the average reader know. If I don't laugh at depersonalisation then I cry rage spit and annoy as an atomised individual no-power self-advocate in the age of vexation being reframed as vexing issue by the Acuity - the health professional's and me, no longer framed as acute.

Being a mental health peer and an academic peer makes me Double-Peer! That's a bit obscurantist too but its everyday language. Wordplay and fun.

I like double peer unacute acuity than being the psychiatric mechanist term High Functioning. How about highly evolved or just serviced to my level of capacity?

My words maybe mercurial to the shrink but they do they know my thoughts? Be Zen my friend and remove all possibility of being framed as thought disordered. Be like Mercury, friend.

to each their according to their capacity, to each according to their service provision

In a recent example, a peer worker who's a postgraduated school of medicine type, had left me out of person centred practice. I was polite but blunt with them. They were really responsive. What's apparent to me is that particular peer worker is a person who themselves have been failed by the person-centred paradigm of practice - that's depersonalisation and it happens the more capacious you are.

They should be doing tele-maxillofacial-radiology. An enterprising supported employment service should nab them and pay minimum wage. Lucre from a supported-worker school of medicine postgraduate worker!

There's an obvious gap in the market notwithstanding the real world absurdities presented. As well the medical community should open the entire gamut of mental health disclosure to give HOPE as model to the working world that you can have mental illness and still work as a high level psychiatrist or something. Assoc Prof Brendan O - please come back! All is forgiven mate.

And as "high capacity" mostly unmedicated (unrecovered) schizotype do is there no service provision for that invisible part of the community? I use the term #unrecovery because though I'm unmedicated and 'high capacity" I still have slowly forming new realm of health challenges that in the postmedicated age of mental health there's an emerging and slowly filtering realm of knowledge and activism.

Today I celebrate my self-care achievements. Close to a year of mostly unmedicated schizotypal vitality and chronobiodiversity. It's a thing. If I go back to work as an unmedicated schizoefficacious (lol) I'm telling eeeeveryone I cured.

I raise a metaphorical 2 litre bottle of coke and smoke to you. Alcohol gives us a headache and makes us less sparkling than we think we are usually. Cheers.




Popular Posts