Acquisition

The ground is rented
but I own my bed,
the expanse of water
between my lot
of clothes on the floor
and the days I've lived
and measured out.

These possessions
that hold me
lap up.
At times the level
of grasp and acquisition
drowns me in
symbolic rooms
juggling pink,
yellow and blue
detergent liquids.

I've swallowed them
in childhood poisonings
and the reminder to
rouse and acquire in
my pills. Alchemy of care
so that the wave
of memory, bone,
renewed marrow,
blood cells keeps

navigable. Acquaintances
have shelved meaning. Yes
I'm meeting someone at 11
and there's a Dewey decimal
call number. Ring if you run late.
Somewhere in the relay of my
appointments there's a life threatening
emergency. There has to be.

I habituate to my
gathering appointments
that are bulging in my wallet.
I could give an appointment to charity
for those bereft. This allows acquiescence
to venerable Acquisition - saint of the church
of scarcity.

That's an appointment I'd keep.

Popular Posts