Two Poems by Aquiles Nazoa translated by Ariel Riveros Pavez

The Credo according to Aquiles Nazoa

I believe in Pablo Picasso, Almighty, Creator of Skies and Earth; 
I believe in Charlie Chaplin, son of rats and violets,
who was crucified, dead and buried by the time 
but who is resurrected daily in the hearts of men,
I believe in love and in art as the path to enjoy everlasting life
I believe in the miller who lives off making golden stars on his marvelous millstone
I believe in the aerial qualities of human beings
set in the memory of a swooping Isadora Duncan
like the purest dove wounded under Mediterranean skies
I believe in the chocolate gold coins I secretly stowed
under childhood pillows;
I believe in the myth of Orpheus and the magic of music
When, in the hours of my anguish I saw Faure’s Pavane evoked
walk free radiantly from sweet Eurydice in the hell of my soul 
I believe in Rainier Maria Rilke, hero of our struggle for beauty,
who sacrificed his life by plucking a rose for a woman,
I believed in the blossoming flowers of Ophelia’s adolescent corpse,
I believe in the silent lament of Achilles facing the sea,
I believe in a sleek and distant ship
that embarked a century ago in search of the aurora;
whose captain, Lord Byron, by the scabbard of archangels,
a blaze of stars on his brow,
I believe in Ulysses’ dog,
I believe in Alice’s Cheshire Cat in Wonderland,
in Robinson Crusoe’s parrot,
I believe in Cinderella's ratty coachmen,
Veillantif, Roland’s steed,
and in the worker bees in their hive within the heart of Martin Tinajero, 
I believe in friendship - mankind's most beautiful invention,
I believe in the creative power of the people,
I believe in poetry and to end,
I believe in myself, since I know someone loves me…


Rezo el Credo o Credo de Aquiles Nazóa

Creo en Pablo Picasso,Todopoderoso, Creador del Cielo y de la Tierra;
creo en Charlie Chaplin, hijo de las violetas y de los ratones, 
que fué crucificado, muerto y sepultado por el tiempo 
pero que cada día resucita en el corazón de los hombres, 
creo en el amor y en el arte como vías hacia el disfrute de la vida perdurable, 
creo en el amolador que vive de fabricar estrellas de oro con su rueda maravillosa,
creo en la cualidad aérea del ser humano, 
configurada en el recuerdo de Isadora Duncan abatíendose 
como una purísima paloma herida bajo el cielo del mediterráneo; 
creo en las monedas de chocolate que atesoro secretamente 
debajo de la almohada de mi niñez; 
creo en la fábula de Orfeo, creo en el sortilegio de la música, 
yo que en las horas de mi angustia ví al conjuro de la Pavana de Fauré, 
salir liberada y radiante de la dulce Eurídice del infierno de mi alma,
creo en Rainer María Rilken héroe de la lucha del hombre por la belleza, 
que sacrificó su vida por el acto de cortar una rosa para una mujer, 
creo en las flores que brotaron del cadaver adolescente de Ofelia, 
creo en el llanto silencioso de Aquiles frente al mar; 
creo en un barco esbelto y distantísimo 
que salió hace un siglo al encuentro de la aurora; 
su capitán Lord Byron, al cinto la espada de los arcángeles, 
junto a sus cienes un resplandor de estrellas, 
creo en el perro de Ulises, 
en el gato risueño de Alicia en el país de las maravillas, 
en el loro de Robinson Crusoe, 
creo en los ratoncitos que tiraron del coche de la Cenicienta, 
el beralfiro el caballo de Rolando, 
y en las abejas que laboran en su colmena dentro del corazón de Martín Tinajero,
creo en la amistad como el invento más bello del hombre, 
creo en los poderes creadores del pueblo, 
creo en la poesía y en fín, 
creo en mí mismo, puesto que sé que alguien me ama...

---

When I Die, My Love

My love, do not wear what widows wear when I die,
do not weep shaking like someone sneezing
do not throw “tantrums”
throwing the neighbourhood in alarm
and do not buy Carmelite Water for your calm

Do not sit next to my coffin
using your sister-in-laws
as pews
and when your nearest and dearest
come to offer condolences
don’t open your arms free
as if to say “pity me!”

My love, ignore the smartass who pronounces
that I look the same and haven’t changed a bit
and make yourself wise
don’t listen, understand or make eyes
when someone says it all seems like a lie.

My dear when I am dead do not dress as the widow
I want to be like one of Neruda’s dead
therefore, my dear, do not grieve or weep
that’s more like the dead that Julio Florez’s company keep

Make no pretence to be the weeping woman
every time another wreath is laid
and neither practice like the indiscrete
to peek at card at who's written down their name

Do not yell out “take me with you”
nor say that without me
you’ll be all messed up and wrong
like some old crooner
of any old tango song
and screaming with strife
please don’t divulge a thing
about my private life

My one and only, when I die don’t do
what they all do
don’t copy, mimic
or repeat their style
that even though in oblivion
my name remains extinct
at least the world will know
that this dead man was distinct!


Amor, Cuando Yo Muera...

Amor, cuando yo muera no te vistas de viuda,
ni llores sacudiéndote como quien estornuda,
ni sufras «pataletas»
que al vecindario alarmen,
ni para prevenirlas compres gotas del Carmen.

No te sientes al lado de mi cajón mortuorio
usando a tus cuñadas
como reclinatorio;
y cuando alguien, amada, se acerque a darte el pésame,
no te le abras de brazos en actitud de ¡bésame!

Hazte, amada, la sorda cuando algún güelefrito dictamine,
observándome, que he quedado igualito.
Y hazte la que no oye ni comprende ni mira
cuando alguno comente que parece mentira

Amor, cuando yo muera no te vistas de viuda:
Yo quiero ser un muerto
como los de Neruda;
y por lo tanto, amada, no te enlutes ni llores:
¡Eso es para los muertos esülo Julio Florez!

No se te ocurra, amada, formar la gran «llorona»
cada vez que te anuncien que llegó una corona;
pero tampoco vayas a salir de
indiscreta a curiosear el nombre que üene la tarjeta.

No grites, amada, que te lleve conmigo
y que sin mí te quedas
como en «Tomo y obligo»,
ni vayas a ponerte, con la voz desgarrada,
a divulgar detalles de mi vida privada.

Amor, cuando yo muera no hagas lo que hacen todas;
no copies sus estilos, no repitas sus modas:
Que aunque en nieblas de olvido quede mi nombre extinto,
¡sepa al menos el mundo que fui un muerto distinto!



Popular Posts